***This post was conceptualized during the summer of 2012. Although I made a post everyday, it never made it around to making this. So today, on my little “creation day” im finally going to get this out of draft limbo***
Over the summer I realized that my gaming experience had become more social than ever. More and more I abandoned my haven off single player games to play games with my friends. Great examples would be left 4 dead 2 and League of Legends. For the entire summer I never played alone. We explored these new worlds together.
It was not limited to that either, when friends came over we played games split screen using controllers. It brought back memories from my youth where my brother and I continuously played n64 and ps2 all day.
However the term social gaming has taken for the worst in the form of Facebook games. Big companies farming the public with in game purchases. Notifications and updates. Ugh.
Although solo games offered an arguably more immersive experience if continually choose “social games” over them. I suppose it had something with the wanting to fit in with them, or it was fun to do just about anything with them.
Mobile gaming also had a resurgence this year where I live, in the form of the games Candy Crush and Puzzle and Dragons. Everyone. I mean everyone played it. It was a fad, but while it lasted everyone had some common ground, something to talk about and share.
Thank you for reading my unorganized thoughts on how games have evolved into my social experiences.
I have finally finished my examinations, taking my last exam (Biology Multiple Choice) this morning! It has been a pretty normal few weeks for me. Studying for an exam the night before, taking it, gaming, studying and sleeping. Rinse repeat. Asides from a standout weekend in the mix, not much has happened.
I’m actually quite free during exams because exams are so spread apart and you don’t have to go to school if you don’t have that subject! I’m actually more free than I am when I have normal school. Kinda looking forward to it though, going back to routine. Hopefully I will start doing goals and my daily reading and exercising again.
Loving the new wordpress update as well! Really fresh and clean layout and coloring.
My friends are also really into Battlefield 3 and League of Legends again! Been working on my moleskine tons as well.
Also discovered soundcloud (SO MUCH FREE MUSIC) and twitch.tv. I also have become an internet hoarder, downloading anything that’s free.
I don’t know what I want to do exactly with December just yet but here’s my general thoughts.
Instead of learning a new habit this month, I’m going to reinforce the first two I learned in the 7 Habits. Pro activity and planning ahead.
I’m going to play Sanctum in Co-op. I bought the game for him over the Thanks Giving Sales on steam and I’m hoping it can allow us to bond a little, which is harder to do these days.
It is that time off month where I recollect my monthly accomplishments, as you can probably tell by now, I love to use YouTube to learn new things
- Learned to sing the Vietnam anthem: Fortunate Son and learned the lyrics of 50 Cent’s My buddy (so I can say it as I walking down the hallway). I also love Epic Rap Battles. I learned the one with Freddy Mercury shouting at Frank Sinatra.
- Learned to dance the Dougie, albeit a bit stilted and stuttered
- Finished reading the Hobbit. Reminded me how much I loved fantasy and how much a genius J.R.Tolkein is. Modern classic.
- Completed the Anthony Horowitz Horror Collection. The book scared me twice in its 500-some pages.
- Read and sorta applied Habit 2 of “The Seven Habits of a highly effective Teenager.”
Hello everyone. I’ve had a pretty successful week (at least in my measurements).
- I’ve finally finished writing my biggest gaming article ever (which should have been my first) about the indie action game Bastion. My formalist game thoughts yet. I found that splitting the articles into parts and assigning each one to its own day allowed me to write easier and improve the quality of work.
- I learned the lyrics of the classic Vietnam song, Fortunate son:
- Acquainted myself in the general movements of the dougie, again using the excellent mahalo dance videos:
- Finally finished reading Anthony Horrowitz’s Complete Horror Collection. Pretty bad back in my opinion, but I suppose it WAS meant for children. Legitimately scared me twice in 400 something pages.
Next week I’m going to:
- Learn the lyrics of My Buddy by 50 Cent
- Beat at least two levels in Sanctum